Known as the “Little Red Schoolhouse,” it is located on Route 4, near Hudson Valley Community College. Built in 1861, it is the last one room schoolhouse in Rensselaer County that is being used as a school.
District No. 2
The original one room Bell Top School was built in 1866. This building was moved across Snyder’s Lake Road in 1939 and is a private home. The present enlarged Bell Top School stands where the original building was located.
District No. 3
The Hidley School was located on Hidley Road. It was torn down in the 1940’s
District No. 4
The Main Avenue School in Wynantskill was built in 1906. A fire destroyed most of the property and a new school was constructed in 1951. The building now serves as the Town Hall and North Greenbush Library.
District No. 5
This school was built on Bloomingrove Drive in Defreestville about 1809. It was closed in 1944 and now houses a local business.
District No. 6
The Weatherwax School was built on the farm of Samuel and Andrew Weatherwax at the intersection of Mammoth Springs Road and Higgins Road, just off Route 43. It is now a private residence.
District No. 7
The Snyders School was located near the corner of Route 150 and Snyder’s Lake Road. It has been renovated into a two story residence.
District No. 8
The Church Street School was probably the original school in Wynantskill. It closed in 1906 when the Main Avenue School was built. The old building became a private residence and was moved to Main Avenue in the 1960’s.